|Interior Decorating Information|
Make Your Homes Style Unique With Mix and Match Decor
You see it all the time in retail discount stores: Color coordinated decor for just about anywhere in your home. And some of the designs are quite pretty. In fact, some people become obsessed by them. They're usually really cute, come in a variety of colors, shades, patterns and designs, and they just plain make decorating easy. There's no guesswork - everything is matched for you automatically. But there's also no unique style. No sense of "you" in the finished style. If you mix and match styles up a bit though, you'll end up creating something that's just right for you, your home, and your style preferences. Here are a few tips on doing that.
1. It's ok to start with a "cookie cutter" design style, pattern, or color theme you've found in a general store. These are actually great starting places for getting new decor ideas.
2. Try choosing just one or two matching items from the store. For instance, let's say you plan to decorate your bathroom in a sea green color scheme. You'll find plenty of really nice shower curtains to fit this color scheme well, so choose one you like. If you just can't resist... go ahead and get the matching accessories too, such as the toothbrush holder and soap dish.
3. Now most likely the ready made design of your shower curtain has traces of other colors mixed in. It's common for instance, to see blues, tans, yellows and oranges in a sea green coordinated bathroom set, because these colors tend to be seen when you're actually at the sea or ocean. So they compliment each other.
And this is a key decorating point: Your room colors don't have to match exactly. They should simply compliment each other. So in our sea green bathroom decor example above, it would be perfectly natural to add a set of solid tan colored towels, burnt orange wash cloths, and a throw rug with touches of blue in it. If the blue doesn't seem to fit quite right for your tastes, then try a deep forest green colored rug instead.
4. Try different color shade combinations. If you're using primarily green in the bathroom design, try both a light and dark shade as previously mentioned. Test the colors out though, because sometimes one shade doesn't sit well next to another. Sometimes you can tell this instinctively by holding two items of different shades together in the store, but other times you'll need to actually buy the items and test them in the actual room itself. Anything that doesn't quite look or feel right in the overall room design can simply be returned to the store.
5. Work with what you have. In our bathroom decor example, the shades of green might not work well if you have pink walls and aren't able to change them when you're redecorating. If you have deep, dark wood cabinets and other accessories, the darker green shades might make the room seem a bit too heavy and dark once you have all of the new decorations in place.
6. Don't be afraid to try mixing decor styles. It's ok to have a Southwestern style towel set in the same bathroom as a seaside designed shower curtain for instance, because both styles tend to use earth toned colors.
7. Last but not least: If you can't find decor styles you like at regular stores, try shopping around at yard sales and flea markets. Even if you find just one interesting or unique piece that really catches your attention - that's a place to start. You can create an entire room's unique design and decor style by simply working from the color and style of that one piece!
Remember that decorating your home is all about you. Your likes, dislikes, and lifestyle are what's most important. So be sure to inject a little bit of your own personality into the decor of your home, and your friends and family will be envious of your unique, stylish look!
© 2005, Kathy Burns-Millyard. This article is provided courtesy of The Do It Yourself Home Decorating Network - http://www.diyhomedecorating.com - a large and growing home decorating and decor website featuring articles, tips, advice, and popular home decor shopping.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Two Guys and a Bible Ministries opening Mid West Healing Center in Laurie - Devil's Lake Daily Journal
Pot Racks - Make a Statement In Your Kitchen
One of the most beautiful, versatile and efficient accessories that you could incorporate into your kitchen is the pot rack. The addition of a custom pot rack brings style, grace and organization to your kitchen's workspace, and makes a stylish, sophisticated statement that is unsurpassed by other accessories.
Where to Find Cuckoo Clock Parts
In some places, one might be able to find old men bent over tables with all of the knowledge, expertise and inventory of parts that are necessary to fix a broken or malfunctioning cuckoo clock. For those of us who don't have the time or desire to seek out such eccentric craftsmen, the Internet has become a haven for locating and purchasing any of the hundreds of individual minute pieces that make up a Black Forest cuckoo clock.
The Increased Popularity of Granite Kitchen Countertops
The popularity of granite kitchen countertops has increased dramatically in recent years, with the media focus on kitchen remodeling and personal incomes rising. Originally the choice for granite countertops was limited to wealthy individuals.
Unique Tin Can Candle Holders
Ah yes the good old Tin Can. The tin can has been around for years, providing many different projects to be made from tin cans.
How Do You Choose Art for Your Home?
You have just moved into a new home. Perhaps it's your first real home that you plan to invest time and money into decorating and styling.
Decorating? Then Make a Smart Flooring Choice!
Set the stage for your beautiful room decor with a smart flooring choice. And no matter what flooring material you choose, it should be serviceable for your lifestyle.
A Look at Shiatsu Massage Chairs
The term "shiatsu" refers to a form of Asian massage. This traditional massage uses techniques of digging deep into the muscle tissue to ease out knots and relieve tension.
10 Home Decorating Ideas To Quickly Update Any Room
Not all home decorating ideas require a heavy investment of time and money. If you're looking for a few affordable home interior decorating ideas to freshen up a room over a weekend, try these ten:1.
The Value of Antique Cuckoo Clocks
As cuckoo clocks have been around since 1730 and have always been manufactured by gifted artists and skilled craftsmen, many of the older pieces that have been even minimally cared for are still in existence today. A well-preserved cuckoo clock from the 18th or 19th century can bring a king's ransom at any of the prestigious auction houses around the world.
Turning Your Childs Room into a Mysterious Jungle
(When designing a child's room, you want to create an atmosphere that inspires and stimulates them mentally. The room should be interesting to the child, and should reinforce both rational thinking, and creativity.
Down Bedding Guide
Down, feathers, goose down, duck down, these can all be a little confusing when shopping for your down bedding. The first thing to keep in mind about down bedding is that not all down is created equal.
The Benefits of Wood Cook Stoves
Wood cook stoves have been used for hundreds of years. Before the advent of electricity, people cooked all of their food in wood cook stoves.
Wood Mini Blinds
Wood blinds offer nature's rich, subtle colors and unique textures. They were the most widely used blinds once upon a time.
Luxurious Linen - Surround Yourself With Sensual Texture
Luxurious linen has been used for centuries. Writers speak in poetic terms of the lovely sensual textures and styles of sheets that were once decadent and even sinful because they were so lush and beautiful.
Finding a Bamboo Flooring Supplier
Bamboo, a type of grass that grows all over China and Southeast Asia, has become a fashionable, high-quality alternative to traditional hardwood floors. Bamboo's 40-50 foot high stalks reach maturity in just five years and renew themselves naturally, making them a great alternative to cutting down trees that can take decades to reach maturity.
The Benefits of Granite Kitchen Sinks
If you are looking for durability and easy-to-maintain features in your kitchen sink, then granite is the choice for you. Granite composite sinks resist the rigors of everyday life such as denting, cutting, chipping and staining.
Fruit Basket Delivery
Probably the single most important component responsible for making the fruit basket the most popular gift in history is the modern technology applied to the delivery of the product itself. Overnight delivery from almost anywhere in the world, is what makes the fruit basket the most versatile and exotic of gifts available.
Freestyle with Metal and Format: The Milan FuoriSalone 2005 event.
This Italian lifestyle project, underlined by the aroma of espresso coffee, is divided into three thematic areas showing different ways of rendering the multifaceted personality of today's ceramic tiles, an irreplaceable part of home decor.The setting is decidedly unusual: the space, occupied by a mechanical workshop for the rest of the year, features a barrel-vaulted gallery facing the entrance courtyard.
Installing Granite Countertops
Granite is not only the hardest material available for countertops; it's also the most expensive, with prices starting at $60 a square foot. Though adding granite countertops to any kitchen can be quite costly, they remain the premiere choice in many new and remodeled homes.
A Look at Picnic Gift Baskets
Picnic gift baskets are a great gift for just about anybody who likes the outdoors and who likes to eat. Most people enjoy the idea of picnicking, but haven't invested in the supplies to be able to do so.
|home | site map | Nautical Decor|