|Interior Decorating Information|
Plantation Shutters Bring Antebellum Elegance To Modern Homes
Choosing plantation shutters for form or function? Plantation shutters offer both to today's homeowner. These unique window treatments trace their roots to ancient Greece. The Greeks used them for both privacy and security. Interior shutters were used to close windows. Along with imposing columns, shutters are hallmarks of Classical Greek Architecture. This ancient order and form in building design later influenced buildings and architecture throughout the Western world.
Before the widespread use of glass, shutters were used to close windows. They were used to protect the interior of the house from the weather and from intruders as well as provide privacy. They could be opened to allow sunlight and fresh air into the building or home.
Elements of Greek architecture are seen in many buildings and homes from the late 18th century, the 19th century and the early 20th century in the United States. It was especially prevalent in banks, office buildings and many public and government buildings. The plantation mansions of the old South borrowed heavily on the architecture of the Greeks. The antebellum mansions of the great plantations from South Carolina to the western edge of Mississippi borrowed heavily from the building concepts of the Greeks. A number of these grand old mansions have been restored and preserved at Natchez, Mississippi.
Just as did the ancient Greeks, plantation owners used shutters for both their beauty and their function. By closing the windows in this manner, these homeowners were able to add a level of security to their homes. This was important because in the era before the Civil War, the agricultural areas of the South were only sparsely populated. Plantations were largely isolated. Plantations were also symbols of wealth, making them targets for bands of robbers. There was also the potential of attack from revolting slaves.
Times have changed and today's homeowners use shutters primarily for their beauty or form rather than for security.
What are plantation shutters?
Plantation shutters are louvered interior shutters. They cover the entire window. They are most often made from wood, although modern materials including PVC and vinyl are also being used with growing acceptance. The shutters are hinged and can be opened or closed and latched. In addition to swinging open, some models have moveable louvers that can be opened and closed. Other models have stationary louvers. There is great flexibility in being able to partially or completely open the shutters and/or partially or completely open the louvers. This allows tremendous control in directing the inflow of outside air as well as sunlight.
Typically the panels of plantation shutters range from 15 inches to 36 inches wide. Louvers are available in several widths, ranging from 1-3/4 inches wide to 4-1/2 inches wide, appealing to different tastes and fitting with a variety of decors. The width of the louver has a practical application as well as aesthetic. The wider the louver, the more air or sunlight will be allowed to filter through.
These shutters are often used in series. Rooms with a number of windows, several adjacent windows or large picture windows look especially good with plantation shutter window treatment.
Pine is frequently used in construction of hurricane shutters as well. Contractors and do-it-yourselfers can find them both pre-finished and unfinished. Unfinished allows the contractor or diy to finish with any paint or stain color desired.
PVC and vinyl panels come in colors, including white. These panels may be plain or have embossed wood graining. PVC and vinyl are excellent choices for rooms where there can be high levels of moisture or steam. They are good for pool rooms, bathrooms and utility rooms.
Shutters with moveable panels have the added advantage of providing privacy at the same time they admit light and air. You can adjust the louvers in such a manner that light and air is allowed into the room while at the same time preventing outside passersby from seeing inside.
Some tips for selecting shutters for your home
1. Consult your carpenter or contractor. Determine if the present window casings will support the weight of the hinged shutters when opened and closed, or whether additional framing will be required.
2. Consider the width of the louver. The louver width affects the appearance as well as the function of the shutters. The wider the louver, the more light and air will be permitted to flow into the room.
3. Choose between wood and vinyl. Wooden, especially faux wood shutters can give the room a warmer feeling. Vinyl shutters work well in rooms that have high moisture or steam content. Vinyl shutters are easy to clean and will not warp.
4. Choose between moveable and fixed louvers. If you want to use the shutters primarily for privacy and security, you may wish to use fixed position louvers. If you want to be able to open the shutters to admit light, ventilation or see through the window, you will want to select adjustable louver shutters.
5. Read the reviews written by home improvement consultants and also by consumers. These reviews are posted on websites and are published on home improvement websites and in home decorating magazines.
6. Choose a reputable company with a reliable warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
Tips for installing shutters
1. Measure the window and make sure that the window opening is square. If the window is not square, you will be required to taper the shutter to fit the opening.
2. Cut the shutters to fit the opening. If you cannot find a shutter that will fit your window exactly, choose a shutter that is slightly larger than the opening. If you need to trip more than ľ" from the shutter, cut all of it from the left or bottom sides. If you need to trim more than ľ inch from the side, cut half from each side. Use the same procedure in trimming the height of the shutter.
3. Hinge the shutter with non-mortising hinges. Use two shutter hinges for shutters 30 inches or less in height. Use three hinges for shutters from 30 - 48 inches high. Be sure and place the hinges on the opposite side of the desired shutter opening.
4. Install the latch on the opposite side of the hinges. The latch is often installed in the centre of the shutter. In some applications it may be desirable to install the latch near the top or the bottom of the shutter. For example, in a room used by small children you may wish to install the latch near the top of the shutter.
5. The installation tools needed include a mitre, radial arm or table saw; a jointer, planer or a hand plane; screwdriver; square, paint brush; tape measure; pencil; the shutters, non-mortising hinges, screws, fine sandpaper and touch-up paint or varnish.
Today's homeowner is going to use plantation shutters more for beauty, but they are also important for privacy and security. Shutters are often an excellent choice for living rooms, sitting rooms, dens, home libraries and home offices. There is a special feeling that comes from sitting or working in a room dominated by the rich warmth of wood. Sunlight, ventilation and artificial lighting can all be adjusted to provide just the right atmosphere.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Marie Antoinette's Furniture Provides Expert Advice For All Your Interior Decorating Needs - The Palm Beacher Magazine
Ohio-Based Wild Interiorsâ„˘ Launches Dwarf Fiddle Leaf and Other Must-Have plants - PR Web (press release)
The Benefits of Ozone Air Purifiers
Ozone air purifiers or "ozone generators" are known for their effectiveness at reducing and masking the smells of new carpet and acrolein, a chemical partly responsible for the noxious odor of second-hand tobacco smoke. There are two types of ozone generators.
Decorating on a Budget - 15 Easy Steps
Many years ago I was told that the least expensive way to redecorate is to rearrange what you have. It was one of the best decorating suggestions I've ever had-not to mention the one that can be the most fun to implement.
The Demand for Massage Therapy Chairs
Massage therapists are in high demand. Consumers recognize the physical and mental health benefits of a good massage.
Update Your Home Decor Using Colorful Rugs
Retro, checks, black and white..
Furniture Bench - The Many Varieties & Uses For One In Your Home
Furniture benches are benches that can be used indoors and for literally any room of the house. For example, a furniture bench would work perfect for entry ways or foyers.
Couch Slipcovers - An Easy Way to Give Old Furniture a Stylish New Image!
Fitting new couch slipcovers is a great way to instantly disguise worn or outdated upholstery, for not much effort or expense. Ready made slipcovers are designed to be really easy to fit over your old couches or chairs, giving them a fresh new look within just a few minutes.
Three Ways to Add Charm and Style to Your Kitchen
I like decorating my kitchen with a cozy, warm, inviting, homey feeling to it. Usually I'm fighting for all the space I can get in my kitchen too.
Bringing the Inside Out
The time of year is here when we all start spending more time outside. Look at your deck or backyard as an additional room.
Latex Mattresses - Comfortable, Renewable, and Biodegradable
A latex mattress is not exactly the same thing as a memory foam bed. Latex is a naturally biodegradable sap from the rubber trees of Indonesia and Malaysia.
Granite Countertops: An Overview
Home remodelers and builders have experienced a boom in the demand for granite countertops in kitchens and bathrooms. The beauty and warmth of granite makes it an ideal material for aesthetic appeal in home design, and the durability and easy care of granite countertops keeps them a favorite for homeowners who are looking into the future.
"Too Much Stuff" Syndrome or How Decorating and Organizing Can Help Your Sanity
This area of home life is different from others in that it involves all the senses and to that degree it is successful, engendering varying emotions. Decorating isn't really a hobby, nor is it merely an activity; it's a driving force of many people to live in comfortable and pleasing surroundings while they regenerate from a stressful world.
1950s Home Decor Redesign
The styles of the 1950's are coming back and there are many products now available to "capture the past" in your home decorating. To get you started, here is a partial list of reproduced products inspired from the 1950's.
Using Candles in Feng Shui Decorating
The basic belief behind Feng Shui is that there are five elements, some combinations of which create a productive cycle, and some a destructive cycle. When one of these five elements - water, wood, fire, earth, and metal, respectively for the productive cycle - are combined with an element adjacent to the main element, a productive cycle is perpetuated.
A Look at Outdoor Ceiling Fans
A ceiling fan used outdoors, such as on a covered porch, deck, or gazebo, can serve several purposes. Outdoor ceiling fans can provide a cool breeze and make hot days much more comfortable, keep bugs away, and provide beautiful and unique decoration.
Magic Carpet Ride?
There are hundreds of choices carpet choices out there! How does one decide?Whether you are carpeting a room, a home or an office, you will find a vast array of colors, piles and styles when you go looking for your new carpet. It's hard to know where to start.
Feng Shui Decorating Guidelines
The importance of following feng shui decorating guidelines.Feng shui decorating guidelines show us the correct way to place objects, furniture and how to decorate in order to achieve harmony.
How to Choose the Right Air Conditioner Filter
The air filter in an air conditioning system keeps the cooling coils and air inside the room clean and free from all pollutants, pet dander, ozone emissions and airborne particles.There are many different kinds of air filters available today, such as HEPA, standard, pleated, electrostatic and electronic filters.
Decorating with Table Fountains
With unlimited possibilities available, table top fountains can add understated beauty or grandeur to any room in your house. Fountains are a worthy investment even for those who hesitate to spend money on aesthetics.
Decorating with Authentic Zebra Decor
We all take a certain pride in the interior of our homes. We all try to create a beautiful extention of our personalities.
Interior Decorating For Cats - Protecting Your Possessions
Part 1The first thing a cat owner should know about home décor is to keep it simple. Cats are completely convinced that they are in charge, that the house and its possessions belong to them, and that they have every right to break rip or shred anything they like.
|home | site map | Nautical Decor|