|Interior Decorating Information|
7 Tips for Decorating Your Childs Room
If you're not sure where to start or how best to tackle updating your child's bedroom, you're not alone. In a lot of families, the baby nursery takes a lot of planning and decorating time but there's often less thought and energy put into decorating the same child's room as they grow older.
It's common for baby toys and furniture like diaper disposals, pull toys and cribs to get removed, but other things often stay around for quite a bit longer than the growing child might wish. For instance a wall paper border with prints more suitable for your baby or young child's room, may not be as enjoyed by your now older child (or teen?!).
Here are a few tips to help you get started with decorating your child's room. The best part about this is that your child can help you do it this time around. So this can be a fun project you can do together!
1. Select a new color to paint the walls, a color that your child likes. If you have a strong objection to it, though, negotiate with perhaps a lighter version of that color, or limiting their color choice to only one wall. (Or, encourage them to put up some nice posters to lessen the wall color's impact!)
2. Mood lighting! Kids of all ages enjoy mood lighting of one sort or another. Together, select either a night light, a small novelty lamp with a low-wattage bulb, or an interesting colored or black light bulb lamp. Other lighting effects kids enjoy include disco lights, dog statues, flowers with light effects, and glow in the dark items.
3. Bedspreads. Get rid of baby blankets and exchange for favorite cartoon throws or bed covers. When they're teenagers, they might enjoy sports, frilly, or even more adult taste bed coverings.
4. Personalize something for their bureaus or their walls, with their names and/or photographs. Photos can be made into a collage. Exchange those baby and stork photo frames with an upgrade to novelty photo frames. Try one with hearts, a sports theme or a safari look, for instance. Engraved stones with your child's name or an inspirational thought and personalized acrostic poem name prints are fun and unique decor ideas that kids enjoy. Engraved name stones become long-lasting gifts and keepsakes. Acrostic name prints use the letters of your child's name to start off self-esteem enhancing phrases that can inspire your child and highlight their special talents and interests.
5. Create a comfort zone area in the room, for cuddling up cozy and reading. You can use big pillows, plush or inflatable chairs, anything your child might enjoy to sit on and relaxing in. You'll also want to conveniently have some books placed within their arm's reach. You can also place some music equipment by that area for them to enjoy. And if there's room, add an additional seating space for you. Then together you can enjoy reading, listening to music, or simply chatting with each other. If you have a teenager, they'll likely want to have another seating space for you or their friends to use.
6. Together with your child, agree upon a wall paper border that you can use to decorate their room with. This idea can be in addition to or used instead of painting their room. Adding or changing a wall paper border can be a very simple and quick way to change the look and feel of your child's room.
7. And... here's an interesting idea my daughter suggested when I asked her for suggestions about decorating a child's room ... (I simply had to share this intriguing idea with you!) She said, "tell them to get an extra thick room door so you don't hear your kids fighting!"
Can you tell that she shares her room with her sister and something about the noise level in their room at times?
Hmmm... she might have a good idea there after all!
Liz Hekimian-Williams is founder of Giftsprings.com, a home decor and gift shop that features unique personalized gifts including engraved stones and personalized acrostic name prints, as well as novelty decor photo frames and accent lamps. To delight your child with his or her name etched in stone, you are invited to explore the personalized engraved stones available at http://www.giftsprings.com/category/estones
© 2004 by Liz Hekimian-Williams, Giftsprings.com
Permission to reprint this article is granted as long as you agree to publish it in its entirety (including author byline, resource box with active link, and copyright notice); email only to your own private mailing list of subscribers who have specifically opted-in to receive your emails; and notify the author of your usage.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Looking Back: Mrs. Lee Grim stages interior decorating clinic at library - International Falls Journal
Starting Your Own Redecorating Business: The First Key Steps
Are you a compulsive furniture rearranger? Do you make distinctive vignettes with accessories? Been complimented on your beautiful home? Give friends and family decorating suggestions even if they didn't ask for your help?Have you ever wondered if you could make your decorating passion into a business? There is a fast growing area of interior decorating called interior redesign or one-day decorating. Varieties of this type of decorating include real estates decorating and home staging.
Buying Down Alternative Comforters
When the frigid winds of winter arrive, many people turn to lavish bed comforters to stay warm. Because of their luxurious feel and unbeatable warmth, down comforters are a popular favorite.
A Look at Woven Wood Blinds
Woven wood shades, also known as bamboo shades, are a contemporary window treatment popular in office and homes. They are constructed of natural material combinations, including bamboo, rattan, reeds, jutes, and wood.
A Guide to Interior Shutters
We've all heard of exterior shutters. We see them on houses in every town in the country.
The Benefits of Ozone Air Purifiers
Ozone air purifiers or "ozone generators" are known for their effectiveness at reducing and masking the smells of new carpet and acrolein, a chemical partly responsible for the noxious odor of second-hand tobacco smoke. There are two types of ozone generators.
Dont Just Clean, Organize
Instead of cleaning, decorateTrying to maintain both a beautiful interior, and a neat and organized home, can be a daunting endeavor. One of the worst mistakes that you can make when planning the design of your residence is to arrange it in such a way that your decoration actually gets in the way of maintaining tidiness.
The Benefits of Pre-finished Hardwood Floors
Pre-finished floors come with an extended factory finish warranty unlike unfinished floors. The heavy duty finishes are urethane-based.
An Introduction to Massage Chairs
A comfortable recliner is the prime parking spot for many-a-man. Try plopping down in your dad's recliner and see how long it takes for him to make you move.
The Benefits of Exterior Shutters
When you see a house for the first time, one of the first things you notice are the windows. Are they big or small? Are they a simple square or an unusual shape? Are they plain or decorated? And do they have shutters? Shutters complement most homes -- they add an element of traditional beauty.
The Benefits of Laminate Bamboo Flooring
Bamboo, a grass once conjuring up images of Pandas and rickety boats, is now being used to make quality wood floors in many North American homes. Bamboo laminate flooring is both an excellent building material and environmentally friendly; bamboo is easily renewable and matures in only five years.
Go Vintage When Decorating Your Hearth
With the weather cooling, it's time to put on the fireplace. Curling up near a cozy fire is a wonderful winter pastime but you'll need the right tools to tend your fire.
Wall Clocks Tell Time and Decorate!
Clocks can be of any type - they could be wall clocks that not only decorates the walls, but also tells time or a mantel piece resting on one's table etc..
An Upholstered Bench To Incorporate Style and Function
How do you envision your dream home? Is it rich in color and texture, romantic, cozy, warm, comfortable and inviting all at the same time? Would you love to incorporate colorful fabrics and rich textures in your home's décor but are not sure how to pull it off? You are not alone. The truth is: Many people long to incorporate the use of textured and patterned fabric into their decorating style but are not sure where they should begin.
Nursery Room Decor
The nursery is your newborn's first room, his own little world: the environment, which in part will influence and shape his personality. As a parent your goal is to provide a surrounding that is comfortable, secure, inviting and cozy.
How to Choose Kitchen Sink Faucets
Choosing appropriate faucets for your kitchen sink is as important as choosing the shape and size of the bowl. Faucets come in all shapes and sizes.
Children's bedroom furniture and nursery furniture can help turn a bland and boring bedroom into a fun and cozy retreat. Since there is a wide range of designs and materials available, you can find the perfect children's furniture for your child's bedroom, whether you prefer a whimsical decorating style or practical, sturdy pieces.
The Benefits of Bamboo Roman Shades
Roman shades are inexpensive and elegant window treatment to block the sun or prying eyes of nosy neighbors. Roman shades can be purchased or made cheaply and relatively simply by the do-it-youselfer.
How to Buy Discount Roman Shades
Roman shades adorn windows to block the sun or to give privacy. Traditional Roman shades are cut from rectangular fabric and fall straight down.
The Ultimate Strategy for Decorating a Childs Room!
When it comes to decorating a child's room, your approach should be different from decorating an adult bedroom. That's because a child's bedroom should reflect his or her personality and not yours.
Which Air Purifier is Best For You?
Perhaps the best air purifiers are those from the IQAir line. These units are widely used in hospitals to eliminate mold, viruses, and bacteria.
|home | site map | Nautical Decor|