|Interior Decorating Information|
Kitchen Island Ideas for Great Custom Kitchen Islands
Use kitchen island ideas to better understand how to create a more functional and comfortable kitchen. Using custom kitchen islands means having the most appropriate island for your home and kitchen area based on your kitchen space and your needs. Kitchen island ideas take us back to the farmhouse kitchen, even back to medieval times when a large worktable was used to do most of the preparation work.
Besides meal preparation, the kitchen can become a gathering area for family and friends if there is enough space. Since so much happens in the kitchen on a regular basis, getting the layout right is important. The kitchen island can serve as an additional eating area, and food preparation can easily be done there. In a large kitchen, the kitchen island can shorten the distances within the working triangle (sink, refrigerator and range or cooktop) and make it more efficient.
Here are kitchen island ideas to consider when planning your kitchen:
1. Kitchen islands work best in larger L, U or G-shape kitchens. If the kitchen is too small, the kitchen island will become an obstruction and hinder easy movement. The best custom kitchen islands for small to midsize kitchens are a portable butcher block or kitchen cart for food prep or extra storage.
2. Include a ventilation hood overhead to eliminate smoke, steam and cooking odors if your kitchen island is going to have a cooktop. The range hood should extend beyond the cooking area by 3 inches or more on the sides for proper ventilation. Using the correct fan size will ensure that removal happens as intended. Have a fan capacity of about 50 cubic feet per minute (cfm) for each square foot of cooktop area.
3. A second kitchen sink can be included on the kitchen island. Use a sink that is deep enough for washing large pots and pans, and consider equipping the kitchen island with a trash compactor, garbage disposal, recycle bin and even a dishwasher. Cleanup will be much easier when these appliances are close by the sink.
4. Allow adequate countertop space on both sides (left and right) of the kitchen island if a sink or cooktop will be used. Include at least 15 inches of countertop space on each side, and if your kitchen is large enough, allow even more space. You can never have too much countertop space in a kitchen. Also, rounded countertop corners help protect everyone from bad bruises -- this is true about all kitchen countertop corners.
5. Additional kitchen island ideas are to consider using shelf space on the sides of your kitchen island for cookbooks, collectibles or storage. A built-in TV works here, especially if it faces the family room. Or a microwave may work well for heating up after-school snacks and cooking foods quickly.
6. Countertop material for the island doesn't have to match the rest of your kitchen countertops as long as it is harmonious with the room's overall design. You may want to splurge on solid surfacing here, for example, and use laminate on the other countertops. A butcher-block countertop is ideal for chopping, while granite or marble works well for baking purposes and for rolling pastry dough.
7. Maximize natural light by having windows and skylights, and keep kitchen wall surfaces light in color to reflect daylight. Custom kitchen islands work great by using pendant or recessed fixtures to direct light onto the kitchen island and other work areas. Electrical codes will likely require that electrical outlets be located on the sides of fixed kitchen islands, not on the top, to prevent electrical shock.
Use custom kitchen islands ideas to help you know how to create an attractive area that will perform a variety of useful functions. Designed correctly, kitchen islands will make your work area more functional and efficient and will be enjoyed by everyone for many years. Read as many kitchen island ideas as you can on using an island to improve the functionality and comfort in your kitchen -- after all, your kitchen is most likely the most popular room in the house.
Copyright 2005 InfoSearch Publishing
Learn more about kitchen design online and creating the very best kitchen for your home. David Buster is VP of InfoSearch Publishing and webmaster of http://www.yourdreamloghome.com - visit the website and find informative articles for a variety of home improvement topics on kitchen design, bathrooms, fireplaces, home storage and more.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Marie Antoinette's Furniture Provides Expert Advice For All Your Interior Decorating Needs - The Palm Beacher Magazine
Make The Right Choice When It Comes To Futon Frames
As you begin your search for a futon you should pay close attention to the style and frame material. There are two options for futon frames, one is a bi-fold futon frame that folds in two length-wise creating a sofa.
Custom Slipcovers Can Give Your Furniture A Stylish New Look
If your furniture could do with a new look, then you may be interested in some custom slipcovers. Unlike re-upholstery, a slipcover can be easily replaced whenever you feel like a change and can be removed when it needs cleaning.
Turning Your Childs Room into a Mysterious Jungle
(When designing a child's room, you want to create an atmosphere that inspires and stimulates them mentally. The room should be interesting to the child, and should reinforce both rational thinking, and creativity.
Pot Racks - Make a Statement In Your Kitchen
One of the most beautiful, versatile and efficient accessories that you could incorporate into your kitchen is the pot rack. The addition of a custom pot rack brings style, grace and organization to your kitchen's workspace, and makes a stylish, sophisticated statement that is unsurpassed by other accessories.
Displaying Posters: Some Ways You Never Thought Of
How many ways can you display posters? With the easy availability of thousands of inexpensive posters online, you can turn any house or apartment into a unique art gallery!Sure, a poster can be hung on a wall, or attached to it with tacks or tape. But often a more interesting look comes from placing a grouping of posters on the same wall.
Choosing Candles & Scents Part 1 - Candles for July
Deciding on just a few candles is rarely easy. With so much to choose from now (possibly even thousands of scents), it's next to impossible to choose just one.
A Look at Fruit Gift Baskets
The original, the granddaddy of all of today's items bought and sold as fruit baskets, was in fact a basket full of assorted fruits. While there is no clear cut evidence when the first fruit basket was wrapped up and delivered to it's overjoyed recipient, it is known that in ancient times fruit baskets were routinely given to kings and feudal lords all over the world as a sign of respect and loyalty.
A Guide to Bathroom Vanities
The basic bathroom vanity includes a mirror or medicine cabinet above, a sink or basin and counter or 'top' below, and a cabinet beneath. In some cases the sink and top are one unit.
Interior Decorating and Home Decor With Inuit Art from the Arctic North
In order to help give a room a classier touch, interior decorators have used sculptures to bring in a mansion or even museum-like feel to a home. This is particularly true for the interior decorating of living rooms, dens, home offices and hallways.
A Guide to Closet Organizers
Along with losing weight and quitting smoking, getting organized is a top New Year's resolution. In fact, a Franklin Covey Co.
Heres Why Interior Decorating Makes A Statement About You
Interior decorating is that medium which can make your closed spaces convey to the observer a lot about you and your lifestyle through strategic use of elements which range from the visual (color, lighting, form) to the tactile (surface, shape, texture) to the auditory (noise, echo).The more alluring the result, the more the aesthetic, practical and technical appreciation for these elements the designer must have.
The Benefits of Hanging Wine Racks
Hanging wine racks help to neatly store wine in tight spaces. You can find wall-mounted wine racks that hold six bottles with slots to hang your stemware.
Home Decorating Tips - How to Change a Rooms Dimension using Wall Pictures
The Basic Role of Pictures Wall art plays an important role in interior design as it helps create the ambience of a room. By cleverly placing wall pictures in certain ways, you can change and create a new look and feel in a room.
Children's bedroom furniture and nursery furniture can help turn a bland and boring bedroom into a fun and cozy retreat. Since there is a wide range of designs and materials available, you can find the perfect children's furniture for your child's bedroom, whether you prefer a whimsical decorating style or practical, sturdy pieces.
A Review of Popular Wood Stove Manufacturers
There are several world renowned wood stove manufacturers that make a wide range of quality products. Some companies specialize in making traditional wood stoves while other make cutting edge stoves with new and technologically advanced features.
Fast Solutions with Feng Shui
Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese art used in the home to create balance and harmony. Feng Shui Practitioners have many tricks of the trade used to get rid of negative energy and promote happiness, stability, affluence, tranquility and peace.
The Power of Candlelight
In this day and age, everything is about health and wellness. The products range from nutritional, mentoring/self growth and soy/veg candles.
Faux Wood Mini Blinds
Though wood blinds and shutters are the most popular window coverings sold in America, these two products are among the most expensive. Faux wood Blinds offer nature's rich, subtle colors and unique textures at a fraction of the cost of real wood shutters.
The Benefits of Ozone Air Purifiers
Ozone air purifiers or "ozone generators" are known for their effectiveness at reducing and masking the smells of new carpet and acrolein, a chemical partly responsible for the noxious odor of second-hand tobacco smoke. There are two types of ozone generators.
Decorating on a Dime
Decorating your home and office can be a challenge if you are on a budget. There are so many different options, and most of them are outside of your financial grasp.
|home | site map | Nautical Decor|