|Interior Decorating Information|
Decorating on a Budget - 15 Easy Steps
Many years ago I was told that the least expensive way to redecorate is to rearrange what you have. It was one of the best decorating suggestions I've ever had-not to mention the one that can be the most fun to implement. How can you beat it? A new room-practically free! You get such a feeling of satisfaction when you accomplish something spectacular using your imagination and what you already have.
Of course, like many suggestions there is a good way to do this and one that isn't quite so satisfactory. So here's a step by step.
1. Choose the room you want to give a new look.
2. Decide on the type of change you would like. Do you want it brighter, lighter, more sophisticated, or more casual? Do you want to give it a contemporary flavor or make it a bit exotic?
3. Take a good look at what is in the room and decide what doesn't fit the new look/theme that you chose. What is worn out, out of place or out of proportion?
4. Assess the room: Stand in each doorway and in each corner of the room and give it a good hard look. Would the furniture look better on an angle? What is the traffic pattern? You don't want furniture sitting in the way of how you need to move about the room. Most of us can't afford to have a room that just sits and looks pretty. A well designed room works for you.
5. Make a list of the items you want tokeep and measure them.
6. Take a buying trip through your house and see what you can use from other rooms. One very important suggestion: double check measurements and colors of the pieces you have "bought" from other rooms. If you want to expand a little, there are frequently friends or relatives who have pieces in their homes they would like to get rid of, so if you don't have quite what you like, check the family cast offs. Note: You might find you need to freshen your walls with a coat of paint or cover a chair or sofa with a slipcover or purchase new lampshades, but expense should be kept at a minimum, or you defeat your purpose.
7. Once you have your look and know what pieces are available to you, put it all on paper. You need to have a plan, because you could lose your 'willing' helpers if they have to move a sofa 6 or 7 times to get the right look because you didn't do your homework. Pay special attention to electrical and cable outlets, heat and air vents and doors and windows. Lighting is important and unless you're trying the hard way to keep the kids out, you want to be able to get in and out of the room easily and move around comfortably in it.
8. Clear your room. Take the unnecessary pieces and accessories away and put the pieces you want to keep together in another room.
9. It's time to paint the walls and clean the windows and woodwork if needed. Shampoo carpets, wash floors and make sure your background is sparkling and clean.
10. If there are any small items you are going to need to purchase to complete the look, go do it while everything is drying. DO NOT go shopping without a list. You have your plan and you know what accessories you need to complete your look. The easiest way to get off budget and end up with clutter is to go without a list.
11. When the paint and floors are dry, place rugs on the floor (before you move in the furniture). It is also easier to do window treatments now while the room is empty. They can be adjusted later.
12. Gather your helpers. Move in the larger pieces of furniture. Add your smaller pieces such as tables and ottomans and then bring in the accessories.
13. Lamps are very important, so make sure they are located where they will work the best. Don't under light your room.
14. Hang your pictures and adjust window treatments.
A note: less is more. An uncluttered room will give a more of an impression of newness then one with too much of everything.
15. Enjoy your new room. In fact throw a party and let everyone admire what you've accomplished. You'll be able to afford it with the money you've saved.
This content for this article was provided by design consultant to ON THE GO 4 U, Suzanne Copenhaver. Suzanne has years of experience dealing with less than perfect home interiors and infrastructures. She provides in-home consultations on color, space, and design and teaches workshops on decorating for ON THE GO 4 U. Indra A Books, author of many other lifestyle articles is also the owner and founder of ON THE GO 4 U, Personal Shoppers & Concierge Service in the Washington DC metropolitan area. The company's creed is to provide its clients with the ultimate life management experience. In addition to its shopping and concierge services, ON THE GO 4 U also publishes a monthly e-zine and conducts workshops on wardrobe, entertaining and decorating. For more information about the author and ON THE Go 4 U, please visit http://www.onthego4u.net © 2004 Indra A Books, ON THE GO 4 U.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Two Guys and a Bible Ministries opening Mid West Healing Center in Laurie - Devil's Lake Daily Journal
Kitchen Decorating Is Easy To Do
Kitchen decor themes can turn a dull kitchen into a beautiful living space. Being the central gathering place for family and friends, the right theme can make any occasion a memorable event.
Create the Right Splash With Bathroom Accessories
When decorating your bathroom, it is important to choose practical and beautiful bathroom accessories that also enhance the style of the room. It is this kind of attention to detail that separates a bathroom with charm and character from one that is strictly ho-hum.
Latex Mattresses - Comfortable, Renewable, and Biodegradable
A latex mattress is not exactly the same thing as a memory foam bed. Latex is a naturally biodegradable sap from the rubber trees of Indonesia and Malaysia.
The Benefits of Ozone Air Purifiers
Ozone air purifiers or "ozone generators" are known for their effectiveness at reducing and masking the smells of new carpet and acrolein, a chemical partly responsible for the noxious odor of second-hand tobacco smoke. There are two types of ozone generators.
Choosing Interior Doors
When it's time to decorate - whether it's for a brand new home or redecorating the family manse, one thing that's often overlooked as a 'style choice' is the interior doors. After all, a bedroom door is a bedroom door, right?And yet, the style of door that you choose can make a subtle, definitive difference throughout your home.
Why Silk Plants Instead Of The Real Thing?
Should I buy silk plants and flowers for my home or office or go with real ones? You should take into account a few factors that may help make your decision an easier one. Along with todays technology making silk plants look more lifelike than ever, below you will find ten reason to pick silk plants and flowers over the real thing.
Five Simple Changes To Your Home Decorating
Home decorating, ever wanted to try it, but hesitated because of time constraints or budget concerns. The following ideas will not only give instant results, but more importantly fit into any budget.
Decorating Tips: The Meaning of Colors
Colors have many different meanings. Have you ever been in a blue room, feeling calm and relaxed, and then walked into a red room and you began to feel chatty and excited? The change in your mood wasn't just coincidence - it was an actual psychological and physiological response to the colors of the rooms.
Beds In A Bag Make You An Instant Designing Pro!
If you feel bedroom-designing challenged like I am, then bed in a bag sets may just be perfect for you! Everything you need comes in one complete set, and is designed to match or coordinate perfectly.With no guess work, your bedroom will come out looking just like those in the finest home design magazines and at a price you can afford.
Oriental Area Rugs - Know Before You Buy an Oriental Rug
Did you know that you can usually tell the country from which an Oriental rug originated from its design and style? While we often think of 'Oriental rugs' as having an overall defining style, the truth is that there are many styles of Oriental rugs, most of them growing from traditional patterns and materials common to the country or area in which they originated. Experts in Oriental rugs spend years learning the variations of patterns, materials, colors and weave that are characteristic of the different areas of the Orient.
Black and White Themed Teen Bedroom Decorating Ideas
When we found out we were having twins, our teenage daughter volunteered to move into a smaller bedroom so that the twins could have the bigger one. It was definitely time to come up with a new bedroom theme! We also didn't have much space to work with or a lot of money to spend.
Types of Wine Cabinets
Many people enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or for entertaining while other people are serious wine collectors or connoisseurs. Regardless, whether keeping one or two bottles of wine on hand or multiple bottles, a wine cabinet is needed to store the wine properly.
Granite Countertop Colors
Granite, like marble and other stones, is as old as the earth. Granite is the second hardest stone (diamond being the first) and is created from molten rock.
Bathroom Vanities and Cabinets Come in Many Different Styles
Modern bathroom vanities and medicine cabinets come in a huge variety of styles and finishes, from the simulated antique look to sleek modern designs. Your choice of vanity unit and storage cabinet can have a big influence over the look and feel of your bathroom, so it's worth putting some thought into your decision to make sure you get it right.
Contemporary Rugs Can Transform a Room
When tackling a do-it-yourself home decorating project, you can use rugs as a relatively inexpensive means of enhancing or transforming a room. There are practical considerations in how to use rugs to advantage, and how to get good value for your money.
Update Your Home Decor Using Colorful Rugs
Retro, checks, black and white..
Area Rugs Will Add That Special Look And Feel To Your Home
Decorating with area rugs is one of the easiest ways to update, revitalize and beautify your home. Rugs can add dramatic color and design to every room; create a focal point or define areas; add warmth to the look and feel of tiles, stone, or concrete; protect hardwood floors or wall-to-wall carpeting; and tie elements of a room together.
Let Your Wall Art Define You
Wall art can be defined by family portraits or historical paintings adorned on the walls of a home. In a home with young children, wall art can even be described as crayola mishaps.
The Benefits of Adjustable Air Beds
Adjustable airbeds are adjustable beds for which the firmness of the mattress can be adjusted. The mattress can be made firm or soft as per the liking and comfort of the user.
The Benefits of Electric Adjustable Beds
Electric adjustable beds are adjustable beds that can be automatically adjusted at the touch of a button. The user himself can operate them without assistance.
|home | site map | Nautical Decor|