|Interior Decorating Information|
Home Care for the Monsoon
Given that the monsoon season lasts for a few months in India, there are many aspects that need to be looked into while considering home care needs. In fact, it is a good idea to get a professional to do an inspection of your home, old or new, prior to the monsoon and ensure that you find and fix the problems that keep recurring. Once they have been fixed, after the monsoon, you can plunge into the decoration aspect.
1. Seepage in foundation walls can be due to a leaking downspout. These problems should be corrected before the monsoon. The causes can be many, so corrective action can only be taken when you have determined the cause of the problem. Stop gap measures do not really help, as the problem is likely to recur the next year.
2. Termites are a major problem wherever water leakage or high humidity levels are a feature. They would require professionals to do a really complete job, but you would need to check the whole house for any signs of termite infestation, which tend to increase during the rainy season.
3. Some easy do-it-yourself remedies for woodwork. Put Camphor in your cupboards, it takes away the moisture and protects your clothes. Neem leaves are also effective against silver fish, which are a common problem in the rainy season. Cloves are an equally effective remedy.
4. Hardwood floors need maintenance during the rainy season. Make sure they are free from moisture and wax them to protect them. Moisture content in hardwood floors tends to make them warp.
5. Carpets, especially wall-to-wall carpets need to be vacuumed regularly with cleaners that will take away not only the dirt but also the moisture that seeps into the fibers. A good carpet cleaner will also keep them from getting a musty smell. Rugs should be rolled up during the rainy season, as they just get dirty if you use them. Ideally if you can wrap them properly in polyethylene sheets they are saved from water damage and insect infestation as well.
6. Waterproofing of the roof is essential before the onset of monsoon. Check that the drains are not blocked with leaves. Ensure that water is directed away from the foundation. Check the underside of roofs for leakage or water condensation.
7. Walls need to be checked for breakages and seepage. The exterior masonry should be repaired well before the onset of the rains. Paint on the interior walls should be checked for flaking.
8. Ventilation is an important aspect of home care during monsoons. Make sure there is enough cross-ventilation and fresh air coming into your home, otherwise the humidity levels will cause a general feeling of dampness.
9. Tile joints in bathrooms should be checked and kept sealed, especially in apartment complexes.
10. Keeping areas clean can prevent mildew and by ensuring that the moisture content in the air is kept as low as possible. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers are a good way to reduce the humidity levels inside a home, but the best way to protect upholstery and rugs is sunlight. A good sunning is the best way to keep moisture from creating problems.
11. An investment you can make this year is a tumble dryer. In a country with such an extended monsoon, we should use tumble dryers, not only to ensure that our clothes do not smell because of moisture trapped in the fibres, but hanging clothes inside the house to dry is one of the reasons why the moisture content in so many homes is so many homes is so high. While its wet outside, you must think of every conceivable way to keep the inside of your home DRY. That solves half the problems that are associated with a prolonged rainy season.
12. Any major work in the home should be done either before the monsoon or after. That is the first basic rule of home décor.
Rekha I Nambiar is an interior designer based in New Delhi,India. She runs her own business in interiors,furniture and home furnishings.
Her work may be viewed at http://www.id-home-furnishings.com
Her blog is http://www.20six.co.uk/furnishinghub
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
The History of Cuckoo Clocks
Although the exact date remains a mystery, it is commonly thought that cuckoo clocks first made their appearance around 1730 in the Black Forest area of Germany. To this day, even with all that has come along with modern experience, skill and technology, no other clock or timepiece has made the lasting impression that the Cuckoo clock made at the time of its introduction.
Easy And Inexpensive Kitchen Decorating Tips
Small changes can have a big effect on how your kitchen looks. Below are 11 decorating ideas that you can do yourself in a day or less.
Home Decorating & The Smaller Place
"Big Things Come In Small Packages" We're all familiar with this quote, it's normally associated with gifts not home decorating, but it should be.A one or two bedroom house, apartment, condo or townhouse can be just as impressive and grand as something with fifteen bathrooms, Wow, imaging having to clean all those, I have enough trouble with two.
Decorating with Brains
Did I get your attention? Sorry, I just couldn't resist! When I was a little girl, we called them "brains". We would gather them into huge piles and either throw them into the woods or throw them at each other.
A Guide to Closet Organizers
Along with losing weight and quitting smoking, getting organized is a top New Year's resolution. In fact, a Franklin Covey Co.
A Guide to Kitchen Sinks
In any household, a kitchen sink is one of the central fixtures and always sees plenty of action. It is used both for preparing food and for cleaning up after every meal.
Decorating Your Kitchen With Accessories
Just like a nice outfit, your kitchen can benefit from accessories! If you are thinking about redecorating but don't have a lot of dough to put into your kitchen, try simply adding some accessories in a matching theme or color and see how it transforms the room!Now before you rush out to the store, you should probably decide what sort of theme you are going for. Do you want the look of old Italy? How about a cottage theme? Why not try a country style kitchen? You will want to buy different accessories depending on the theme you choose.
Three Ways to Add Charm and Style to Your Kitchen
I like decorating my kitchen with a cozy, warm, inviting, homey feeling to it. Usually I'm fighting for all the space I can get in my kitchen too.
An Introduction to Air Purifiers
Air purifiers have been around in various forms since the 1940s, when the first HEPA filter was designed to protect workers from airborne nuclear material. Since then, air purifiers have been used in hospitals, work sites, and homes to protect against viruses, mold, bacteria, pollen, pet dander, tobacco smoke, dust mites, and a great number of industrial and household chemicals.
Warm And Cozy Down Comforters Will Turn Your Bed Into A Luxurious Sanctuary!
Down comforters provide you with a luxurious natural warmth that few other materials can. Down is known for its insulating properties and ability to spring back to its original shape, that is why it is used in comforters, blankets, pillows, and jackets.
A Review of Popular Ceiling Fan Manufacturers
Nearly every residence has at least one ceiling fan. Ceiling fans are so common that many people have difficulty sleeping without one.
For A Pleasant Smelling Home
If you're anything like me and the scent of something pleasant can instantly lift your mood, then a house that is pleasant smelling will be a constant lift-booster. Here are some ways to do it.
A Spring Sampler
Spring is in the air, or at least we all wish it were! If you'd like to get rid of the winter doldrums and usher in some life to your home, here are some easy steps you can take now, before the crocuses bloom.· Put out several bouquets and arrangements of "silk" flowers in bright colors.
Discount Rugs - Buying a Discount Area Rug
A quality area rug for your home can be an expensive proposition. A fine Oriental rug, for instance, can easily set you back several thousand dollars.
All You Need to Know About Murphy Bed Hardware
The Murphy bed, once the best way to fit into a small one-room apartment, has become a clever way to expand the functionality of a homeowner's living space-allowing a room to become a home office or studio, while, at the same time, to be a bedroom for the occasional guest. The cabinetry surrounding the bed can be as ornate or simple as the homeowner prefers, and can utilize any variety of wood, but the hardware that makes the unit a Murphy bed is basically similar in purpose from one bed to another.
A Look at Custom Shutters
Who doesn't love the look of shutters? On the outside, they accentuate the windows, adding personality and style to the house. Inside, they offer a beautiful and stylish alternative to mini-blinds.
Choosing Candles & Scents Part 1 - Candles for July
Deciding on just a few candles is rarely easy. With so much to choose from now (possibly even thousands of scents), it's next to impossible to choose just one.
How to Decorate Spaces for People
When it comes to decorating your home, forget about the empty, lifeless rooms you see in interior design magazines and books. Instead, you should concentrate on designing all of the rooms in your home as backdrops for the people who will be living in those spaces.
Creative Decorating Ideas Using Old Windows
A Room With A ViewHave you ever wished you had a great view right outside your bedroom window but all you see when you wake up in the morning is the wall of the next-door neighbor's house? Well then follow these easy steps to create your own window with a great view.What You Will Need for This Decorating Project:1.
Cleaning Granite Countertops
Homeowners who are seeking to increase value to their homes enjoy the durability and easy maintenance when upgrading to granite countertops. Granite is the most durable of all stones, second only to diamonds.
|home | site map | Nautical Decor|