Drug Interactions: Five Common Dangerous Interactions You Should Know About
Prescription drugs can save your life. But interactions between prescription drugs and other drugs or with illnesses or conditions you have can lead to significant consequences. Drug interactions may make your drug less effective, cause unexpected side effects, or increase the action of a particular drug. Some drug interactions can even be harmful to you. See examples of common interactions and what their results are in the table on this webpage.
Keep in mind that this table does not show you:
-all the interactions with the drug in the left column
-other things that might interact with drugs in the middle column
-all the effects of the interaction between the two drugs (as shown in the right column)
How Can I prevent these interactions?
Here are several suggestions for limiting the possibility of experiencing these effects:
* Make sure that all of your doctors know all of the medications you're taking, including over-the-counter drugs. Elderly persons in particular may see several different specialists. All your doctors should know about anything you're taking
* Make sure you know all the medications you're taking. If you're on several, you should keep their names and doses jotted down on an index card in your wallet or purse. That way, you can reference them if you happen to end up in the emergency room or if you begin working with a new healthcare provider.
* Read the labels. Before using any product, including an over-the-counter medication, read the label for interactions. If you don't know whether one of the medications you're taking fits a category of drugs you shouldn't use, ask the pharmacist for assistance.
* Make friends with your pharmacist. If you always go to the same pharmacy, your pharmacist will have all your drugs on record and can alert you to potential interactions. If possible, finding a pharmacy where there are only one or two pharmacists who are always on duty will improve the chances of them catching problems.
* Even topical medications can interact. You may be receiving an antibiotic ointment for a skin condition - ask your healthcare provider about whether you need to wear sunscreen (to prevent the sun interacting with the medication and giving you a burn!) while using it.
* Other things to think about:
1. Herbal supplements, even if purchased in the store, may not have a complete list of interactions available. Speak with your physician about whether these herbal supplements might harm you - if you're not sure, it's not worth the risk.
2. If you enjoy alcoholic beverages, ask your pharmacist about possible interactions with your medications; you may need to give them a miss until you are through with your medication
3. Even things that don't seem like "real" medicine (antacids, vitamins, diet pills, fiber supplements) may make it difficult for you to absorb your medications or interfere with their function; your pharmacist can be a good resource in determining what to take.
Harvard School of Medicine, "Bad Combinations," Harvard Health Letter, April 2004.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), "Drug interactions: what you should know," http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginteractions.htm.
Copyright (C) Shoppe.MD and Ian Mason, 2004-2005
Ian Mason, owner of Shoppe.MD, your source for Online Prescription Medications, drug information and support forums.
Ian is a fat-to-fit student of health, weight loss, exercise, and several martial arts; maintaining several websites in an effort to help provide up-to-date and helpful information for other who share his interests in health of body and mind.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Health Information: Coping With Stomach Ulcers
Do you suffer from ulcers?If yes, what kind is it and how do you cope?In American society where most people depend on junk food, ulcers can become a familiar and persistent health problem.Some of these foods contain additives and chemicals that can become toxic in our bodies and so cause various health ailments including ulcers.
Generic DrugsGeneric Online Pharmacies started making a big impact on the net since the mid to late 90's. This has allowed the prescription drug buyer to save hundreds with the click of a mouse.
Chronic Head, Facial, Or Neck Pain That Won't Go Away - Could It Be TMJ?
I stumbled across TMJ when I needed treat a literal pain in the neck that would not go away. It seemed that the pain in my neck came from my jaws.
Rebound Headache - Stop The Cycle
You've been getting headaches. Finally, you find some medications that are making a difference.
Neurontin Lawsuit: Neurontin Off-Label Abuse Lawyer
Pfizer is currently marketing Neurontin as an oral medication for managing postherptic neuralgia, the pain that lingers after shingles has healed. This is an FDA-approved use, and studies have shown that Neurontin works to reduce patients' pain.
Zoloft Side Effects: Akathisia and Violent Behavior
Zoloft is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor); a prescription drug that combats depression, anxiety, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), as well as other various problems. SSRIs work by allowing more serotonin to be released through the brain.
Benign Tumors Of The Cervix
Endocervical polypsEndocervical polyps are the most common benign neoplasms of the cervix. Please note that the word neoplasm refers to a cancerous growth.
The Power of Ice
Using ice to treat injuries is one of the oldest methods of pain control. Proven to be safe and effective at reducing swelling, relieving pain and decreasing muscle spasms, ice therapy is an easy self-care technique that anyone can administer.
Stop Taking Blood Pressure Medications with Your Doctors Approval
I have been swallowing three varieties of blood pressure pills for 10 years. In another month, I expect to be off of them entirely.
Erasing the Stigma of Mental Illness
As a physician specializing in psychiatry, I know that many emotional conditions such as depression and anxiety disorders are true medical illnesses with a biologic (physical) origin. Psychiatry has become more and more "biological" in its diagnosis and treatment approaches during recent years, but a very significant stigma still exists against those who are seeing a therapist.
Generic Drug: Its Pros and Cons
A generic drug can be defined as an identical, or bioequivalent to a brand name drug in its dosage form, safety, strength, route of administration, quality, performance characteristics and intended use. Although generic drugs are chemically identical to their branded counterparts, they are typically sold at substantial discounts from the branded price.
Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors (AChEIs)for the Treatment of Moderate and
Checklist of Treatments for Alzheimer's DiseasePart 1 of 8For approximately ten years, I have cared for a parent with slowly advancing Alzheimer's disease. Contrary to all of the horror stories portrayed in the national media, I have found that the burden of caring for an Alzheimer's sufferer is less onerous than I originally expected.
The Neurological Exam: Evaluating the Master Organ
How does a mind contemplate itself? That's a philosophical question I'll leave to minds smarter than mine, but what I can tell you is how to examine the brain and other parts of the nervous system.Most people are familiar with how doctors examine a heart or set of lungs.
Mend Your Arthritis Pain Relief
=====KNOW YOUR ARTHRITIS=====Arthritis is referred to as the nation?s number one crippling disease and the most common chronic disease in people over 40, arthritis affects more than 40 million Americans.And this figure is expected to rise to 60 million by 2020, according to the Center for Disease Control.
Questions to Your Physician or Psychotherapist
According to ongoing research about the needs of patients with emotional problems misinformation or shame to speak about the problem with the doctor or psychotherapist is a major limitation to treatment success. However, transparency, good information and participation in the course of the therapy is the most important factor for a lasting positive result.
Building A Medical Spa Inside Your Existing Medical Practice
The physicians conundrum: Everywhere, physicians are contemplating or engaged in expanding into the "medical spa" market. Seduced by the media buzz around this hot new phenomenon, many doctors see the medical spa as a means boosting their income and eliminating the growing grind and countless headaches of their daily practice.
UltraCET: The Dynamic Duo Of Prescription Pain Control Medications
Remember the last time you stubbed your toe? OUCH! It's painful. But a stubbed toe usually doesn't send us running to the medicine cabinet, since we know that the pain will pass within a few minutes.
Modern Medicine Has Extended Life - BUT 9 Out of 10 People Say Its a Miserable Extension!
Sit down in a quiet place alone and take a minute to notice how you really feel inside and out? Would you consider yourself in good health or living a slow death you call life? As you sit quietly observing yourself, pay attention to the signs and symptoms of your body. Notice the things you've been ignoring such as a low-grade headache that rarely ceases, aching joints, slightly blurred vision, a bulging stomach, sagging chin, no zest for life or maybe a definite feeling of being bone tired and constantly in pain somewhere.
Meridia Lawyer: Meridia Diet Pill Side Effects
Following the recall of Fen-Phen and Redux in 1999 (two diet drugs that cause heart valve diseases) Meridia was released. Meridia is a diet drug similar to the ones that were recalled.
Lamisil Side Effects Lawyer: Lamisil Tablet
While the recent Lamisil commercial featuring Digger, a disgusting cartoon fungus, is still fresh in our mind (who could forget the imagery of a toenail being pulled back and colorful germs crawling in?) it is a good time to look at the side effects of this seemingly innocuous drug. Despite the disturbing advertising campaign, who would have guessed that an antifungal tablet could have so many negative side effects?The drug comes in both cream and tablet form and is used to fight nail fungus, athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm.
|home | site map | Dr. Thad Thomas|