ADHD - Are there Treatment Options?
As an ADD coach I am often asked about the treatment options available for Attention Deficit Disorder. Generally when someone says "ADD" the first thing that will come to the layperson's mind is 'Ritalin' or an image of a hyperactive "Dennis-the-Menace" type. Fortunately, there is a lot more to Attention Deficit Disorder than drugs and hyperactivity. Each individual is unique and therefore different people will respond well to different treatment options.
There are a number of treatment options available for children and adults with ADD. Let's explore some of the most common options.
1) Medication - Medication such as stimulants (i.e. Ritalin, Dexedrine, Concerta, Adderall) is probably the most common treatment for ADD. Often antidepressants (such as Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin) are used instead of or in combination with the stimulants. Some individuals will respond quite well to treatment with medication while others will see little to no difference. It is important to discuss the pros and cons of treatment with medication with your doctor.
2) Counseling and Therapy - Many children and adults with ADD will benefit from counseling from a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Social worker or other mental health practitioner. There is no one form of counseling - some professionals will focus on exploring events in the past or emotions while others will work with behavior modification techniques. Some professionals will use a combination of approaches depending on the individual.
3) ADD Coaching - Coaching can be conducted in person or over the telephone and focuses on the whole-person. An ADD coach creates a partnership with each client to explore treatment options for ADD while focusing on creating balance and satisfaction in each area of the client's life. ADD coaching is recommended for a period of 3-6 months for maximum effectiveness. Coaching utilizes regular communication, goal setting, personality and interest inventories and an extensive battery of tools to design an individualized strategy for each client.
4) Biofeedback and Neurofeedback - Biofeedback uses monitoring devices to furnish information regarding autonomic body functions such as heart rate or blood pressure. The individual patient is therefore trained to gain some voluntary control over that function. Neurofeedback uses technology to train individuals to gain self-regulation of individual brain wave states so as to remain alert, relaxed and focused.
5) Nutritional Therapy and Natural Treatments - Naturopathic and Homeopathic Doctors, Dieticians, Nutritionists, Allergists and other practitioners stress the importance of the dietary treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder. These professionals can design a customized diet that will help to reduce the symptoms of ADD. Nutritional supplements and vitamins are often recommended to ensure a balanced diet and proper levels of essential vitamins and minerals.
6) Supplemental Education - Educational centres such as Sylvan Learning Centre and Kumon Math & Reading Centre offer educational programs for children who fall behind in the classroom. Current research indicates that an estimated 50% of children with ADD have a co-existing learning disability. Supplemental Education also exists for adults in the form of career-based training in facilities such as the Academy of Learning.
With all of these possibilities how does any ADDer know where to turn? Remember that no one treatment is a miracle! Often the best treatment comes from a combination of several of the treatments listed above. If you are struggling to find the treatment that is right for you we are here to help. ADDvocacy makes a commitment to presenting unbiased information on all treatment options available. Contact ADDvocacy to schedule a free 30-minute coaching session to explore ADD treatment options for you or a loved one. For more information please visit our website at www.addvocacy.com
Julia Anne Allworth is the business owner of ADDvocacy, an organization designed to educate, serve and coach those with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). ADDvocacy works with adults, teens, parents, educators, organizations and medical professionals to shed light on the facts and positives about ADD, its co-existing conditions and implications for the future.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Commentary: The Tribune was wrong. Medicine often involves a risk to the patient. - Salt Lake Tribune
Rethink Healthcare: Government hospitals must provide quality, affordable medicine - Economic Times (blog)
Landmark CAR-T cancer study published in the New England Journal of Medicine - EurekAlert (press release)
Treating Neuromas - Ten Tips
A neuroma is an inflamed nerve. In the foot, the most common place for a neuroma is between the third and fourth toes.
rX My Heart and Hope to Die
This must be a mistake! How could his drug costs rise from $150 a month to $1101 in just three weeks? My hands shook while I read the pharmacy bill.There was no mistake.
Lipitor Lawyer: Statin Drugs Cause Muscle Damage in 98%
Doctors have been encouraged to prescribe the cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins quite liberally. Patients who suffer heart attacks often have elevated levels of cholesterol, so statins like Lipitor are prescribed to lower the cholesterol.
Marketing Authorisation - Medicinal Products
Marketing Authorisation: Medicinal Products The case of R (on the application of Merck Sharp and Dohme Ltd) v Licensing Authority , concerned the application for marketing authorisation for a generic product which was based on Product C (see below).The claimant had marketing authorisations for three medicinal products used in the treatment of osteoporosis and three generic companies sought marketing authorisation for Product C.
Lunesta FAQ: Things To Know Before You Buy Lunesta Online
When was the last time you enjoyed a good night's sleep? I'm talking about feeling tired, heavy, and relaxed - the times when you might say "wow! I love air conditioning" and fall right into a deep sleep. If you haven't fallen asleep quickly and woken up feeling refreshed and ready for anything, then you're not alone.
Study Confirms IBS Improvement
Irritable bowel syndrome is a debilitating and distressing condition, which affects 10-20% of the population. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel function such as constipation, diarrhea or alternating diarrhea and constipation.
High Cholesterol Prescription Medications Can Kill You
The World Health Organization declares that heart disease is the number one killer worldwide. High cholesterol is a major contributor of heart disease.
Pagan Medicine: Then and Now
A time will come when our children's children will look back upon the age of "modern" medicine of the 21st century as paganistic witchcraft, foisted upon ignorant masses of people. May God rightly judge those who corrupted His ministry of healing and killed His children.
How Distressing is Social Phobia?
I remember a friend in college who would blush, sweat, and tremble when required by a teacher to speak in class. A few weeks before the presentation, he'd be anxious, agitated, and couldn't sleep.
Clinton on South Beach Diet
Clinton's recent quadruple bypass surgery has been largely debated. Being on the South Beach Diet made everybody wonder how the former president's illness advanced so much as to need to be surgically corrected.
Naproxen Lawyer: Aleve Recall Consideration
Naproxen belongs to a class of drugs called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. This basically means it's a common pain reliever among the ranks of ibuprofen (Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), nabumentone (Relafen), and several others you are probably familiar with.
Generic Drug: Its Pros and Cons
A generic drug can be defined as an identical, or bioequivalent to a brand name drug in its dosage form, safety, strength, route of administration, quality, performance characteristics and intended use. Although generic drugs are chemically identical to their branded counterparts, they are typically sold at substantial discounts from the branded price.
How You Can Erase Low Back Pain Using the Latest Medical Techniques!
"If you're one the nine out of ten adults in the United States who suffers from low back pain, I have good news for you!" states Dr. Nathan Wei, a board-certified rheumatologist and Clinical Director of the Arthritis and Osteoporosis Center of Maryland.
Can You Always Trust Your Dentists Recommendations?
Can you always trust your dentists' recommendations? Think for yourself - in the last 30 years the health of our teeth has improved dramatically. We drink fluoridated water, which almost eliminated decay in our teeth.
The Right Medical Equipment For You Home Or Practice!
Quality, dependable Medical Equipment is an important component of every medical practice. It can't be overstated that while the practice of medicine is an art, Medical Equipment is the science behind the implementation of that art.
OxyContin Addiction: Doctors & Drug Lords
OxyContin is a narcotic drug, an opiate, that has been approved by the FDA to legally treat chronic pain. Chronic pain is documented medical condition, a progressive disease of the nervous system and spine that causes constant a patient to experience constant, excruciating pain.
Zyprexa is an antipsychotic medication that works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain. Zyprexa is used to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Over The Counter Drugs: How To Safely Choose The Right Medication
What Medication Can Cure Me?1. Am I expecting a cure? Some medications relieve symptoms - that is, they stop the itching, pain, redness, etc - but do not actually get to the source of the illness.
Acid Reflux and Your Diet
There is an undeniable connection between the occurrence of acid reflux and diet. Everything in your body has a delicate balance.
Powerful Arthritis Pain Relief For All Of Us
When you ask what arthritis is, professinals will tell you it's inflammation of one or more joints. But you know it better as pain, swelling, stiffness, deformity, and/or a diminished range of motion of those joints! It's estimated that over 50 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and other related conditions.
|home | site map | Dr. Thad Thomas|