Top Ten Things You Should Know About Contact Lenses
1. Soft lenses are perceived by most patients and practitioners alike to be more immediately comfortable while adequately correcting vision. They come in all formats - even toric and bifocal. Disposable soft lenses take minimal but important care to maintain their safety and usefulness.
Soft lenses do absorb elements from the tears and the environment. They can change in fit with their age and cleanliness, perhaps causing a lack of oxygen to the eyes. Their surfaces break down rapidly, causing a decreasing sharpness of vision.
On the other hand, many patients feel they see sharper and more clearly with rigid gas permeable (RGP) lenses. RGPs become very comfortable after adapting to them. They are easier and less expensive to maintain, last longer and are available in all formats. RGPs can more easily be custom designed to offer a wider range of vision correction than soft lenses. They can breathe more oxygen, don't deteriorate as fast and don't absorb things as easily as soft lenses.
2. Soft lenses generally center by themselves if they fit well. Just put them straight on the cornea and they will go where they belong. Use the iris, the colored part of the eye, as a guide. Make sure you have a competent eye care practitioner evaluate the fit of your lenses before you wear them, though. Improperly fit soft lenses can cause damage to your eyes!
3. Almost all nearsighted people can wear contact lenses, no matter how high their prescription. In fact, there are contact lens laboratories that make custom lenses up to -30.00 diopters! It is essential to follow your contact lens practitioner's rules, however. Contact lenses are extremely safe when prescribed and cared for properly.
4. Improperly worn contact lenses can cause a loss of oxygen to the cornea, which in turn can lead to blood vessels growing over the front of your eyes, infections, lid changes, allergies, corneal warping, corneal swelling and possibly even blindness.
5. Do not share contact lenses with your friends. Everyone's tears are filled with normal bacteria, but transferring these bacteria to someone else's eyes is not a good idea. And not only is there a risk of infection, if the lenses don't fit, the eye can suffer from a lack of oxygen or develop other problems.
6. Contact lenses are medical devices. Changing parameters should be done under the supervision of an eye care practitioner. Do not take chances!
7. If you sunbathe while wearing contact lenses, there is no problem with heat. But your corneas can swell and make your lenses fit tighter, causing some temporary redness and irritation. Put some form of lubricating drops in your eyes before tanning. Wear protective glasses to block the really harmful UV radiation from getting to your eyes - it has been linked to cataracts, macular degeneration, etc.
8. Bloodshot eyes are a sign that something is not right. It could be as simple as a solution allergy or dirty lenses. But it could also be a sign that your corneas are not getting enough oxygen. Go see your eye care practitioner and find out why your eyes are so red!
9. Eyeglass prescriptions are higher than contact lens prescriptions because contact lenses sit on the eye, whereas eyeglasses sit in space in front of the eye. This is called the vertex distance. The closer a lens sits to the eye, the less strength is needed to focus light on the retina. And the stronger the prescription, the more the power adjustment. This is true for both soft and RGP lenses.
10. Some contact lens practitioners find that lenses with lower water content can sometimes be better for people who have dry eyes. But some patients actually do better with high-water contact lenses. It has long been felt by some practitioners that the thicker the lens, the better, as well.
Are you planning to wear contact lenses? Visit Contact Lenses Center for the latest news and information on contact lenses.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Commentary: The Tribune was wrong. Medicine often involves a risk to the patient. - Salt Lake Tribune
Rethink Healthcare: Government hospitals must provide quality, affordable medicine - Economic Times (blog)
Landmark CAR-T cancer study published in the New England Journal of Medicine - EurekAlert (press release)
Lotronex Lawyer: Lotronex Side Effects Lawsuit
Even in clinical trials, Lotronex displayed a tendency towards causing ischemic colitis in patients. From the February in which Lotronex was approved until June, the FDA received seven reports of serious complications of constipation leading to hospitalization.
The 7 Most Dangerous Mistakes You Can Make When You See a Doctor for Arthritis!
1. Seeing a doctor who's not board-certified or a doctor who isn't really an arthritis specialist.
Which Drug Addiction Treatment is the Best?
The answer is simple: there is no such thing as the best drug addiction treatment. Depending on the kind of the addiction, your age and social situation different treatments may be chosen for your benefit.
The Lower Cost Prescription Drug Alternative
Today in the United States, there are hundreds of thousands of people who do not have and cannot afford adequate health care coverage. Sadly, many must pay out of pocket for medical treatment of any kind, not to mention much needed prescriptions.
The Cox-2 Prescription Painkillers Are Back?
This past week, the FDA held a meeting in order to decide what should be done about Merck's Vioxx and Pfizer's Bextra and Celebrex. The Food and Drug Administration originally intended to ban these pain medications.
Medical Tests: What Does a Normal Range Mean?
We have a marvelous array of medical tests available to us. Many of them-typically blood-tests-even come with results expressed in numbers signifying the exact quantity of something that was measured.
A Very Medical Miracle
Madeline Mann once weighed less can a can of soda making her the tiniest surviving newborn known to medicine. Next week, she enters high school as something even more exrtaordinary- a honor student who likes to play violin and Rollerblade.
How to Find a Drug Rehab in Florida?
When you're in need, the quickest way is the best: if you put "drug rehab in Florida" in your search engine, the first page it finds will be the right one. There you'll find all the information you need, including addresses, contact information as well as some number and explanations to how they are going to help drug addicts.
Spin Control: What to Do When Youre Dizzy
Dizzy Dean, the great baseball pitcher of the 1930s-1940s, once quipped, "The doctors x-rayed my head and found nothing."That is as good an analogy as any in describing what often happens to patients with the symptom of dizziness.
Can Mexican Pharmacy Purchases Be Trusted?
Purchasing drugs from a Mexican pharmacy is, for the most part, a very safe and inexpensive way of getting the medical supplies that you require. Since the laws in Mexico are very different than in the US, as most drugs are readily available without a prescription (except for some controlled substances and all narcotics), purchasing drugs from a Mexican pharmacy should be a fairly painless process.
Causes and Types of Cerebral Palsy
In the case of Cerebral Palsy there is no one cause of this severe condition. There are many things that may increase the risk of this condition but will not cause cerebral palsy all the time.
Thalidomide is responsible for causing more than 10,000 children to be born with birth defects.A West German Pharmaceutical Company first introduced Thalidomide as a sedative or sleep aid in 1957, and scientific testing determined that Thalidomide was safe, before it was introduced.
Alprazolam/Xanax - A Habit Forming Drug
Xanax is a Prescription Drug which is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on the Xanax medication.
Celebrex Side Effects Lawsuit Lawyer
The Food and Drug administration urges people to stop taking Celebrex, but even so the drug has remained on the market. Recent studies have found that Celebrex causes heart attacks and strokes at higher doses.
Bextra Withdrawal Could Be Just the Beginning for Pfizer
The pharmaceutical industry is a tremendously profitable one, as anyone who reads the business pages of their newspaper can see. Although it can take years to develop a new drug and bring it to market, the profits obtained from a breakthrough drug can be staggering.
Curing Lou Gehrigs Disease
ALS is the disease that took the life of the famed baseball player. The disease benched Lou Gehrig from the game that he loved and later took his life.
Naturopathic Medicine is an holistic approach that relies on natural remedies. Sunlight, air, and water are thought of as natural healers; this, along with nutritional supplements and massage therapies are all part of naturopathic medicine.
Living Migraine Free
Don't treat your migraines, prevent them. A life without migraines is obtainable, I know.
Take Control of Your Doctor: Ten Actions To Get What You Need At Your Next Office Visit
Michael Richardson, MD has some suggestions on maximizing your next doctor's visit.?Find a primary care doctor you can talk to and start building a relationship.
Most writers suffer from a lack of discipline. The urge to procrastinate is strong as writing is agonizing work because it is done alone without support from colleagues, acquaintances, and friends unlike other occupations that take place in an office, a store, a factory, or some other location where people are present.
|home | site map | Dr. Thad Thomas|