7 Tips to Immediately Reduce Rotator Cuff Pain
1. Support the affected arm during activities of daily living. This includes driving, typing at the computer, sitting in a chair and relaxing in your lazy boy at home. Gravity pulls the arm down when it is unsupported, and this increases strain on the rotator cuff. It is best to use a soft pillow or cushion when available.
2. Use ice along the top of the shoulder daily. I always suggest a frozen bag of veggies or soft wrap that conforms to the shape of the shoulder. Be sure to support the arm as mentioned previously while icing. Keep the ice on for 15-20 minutes and then off for an hour. You may ice more than once per day if desired based on pain. I usually suggest icing before bed to improve sleep.
3. Avoid raising the arm overhead in painful ranges of motion unless absolutely necessary. The rotator cuff gets compressed when the arm is elevated above 90 degrees and this often further aggravates the symptoms. This is problematic with getting dressed, fastening the seat belt or placing carry-on baggage in a plane. Overhead athletes will simply need to rest for a given period of time to let the inflammation subside.
4. Do not perform single arm or overhead heavy lifting during periods of inflammation. This position coupled with external loads will prolong your pain and slow the recovery process.
5. Perform arm pendulums (clockwise and counterclockwise circles) with arm hanging down in a dependent position to reduce pain and loosen the shoulder joint up. This gentle motion stimulates receptors in the shoulder joint and helps to increase joint space and reduce pain. This also a good warm-up activity prior to shoulder exercises. You can eventually add a small weight or soup can to increase the effect.
6. Use a pillow under the arm at night to better support the injured arm. I also recommend trying to sleep on the other side if possible, as lying on the sore side compresses the bursa and will typically increase pain and wake you. Another no-no is sleeping with your arms overhead or on your stomach with arm tucked above your head. This is sure to create a shoulder ache.
7. Perform a routine rotator cuff strengthening program within a pain free range of motion. Lower intensity and higher repetition exercises designed to work the rotator cuff muscles are essential to promote healing, reduce inflammation and return you to pre-injury activity levels again. You will not be able to break free of the pain cycle without this type of exercise. More importantly, effective rehab exercises will prevent future injuries and more damage to your shoulder.
Brian Schiff, PT, CSCS, is a respected author, physical therapist and fitness expert. For additional information and a proven exercise program for solving rotator cuff pain and related shoulder injuries, visit http://www.rotatorcufftraining.com
Copyright © 2005 Brian Schiff
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
For-profit medicine incentivizes overmedicating our elderly rather than caring for them - NBCNews.com
Antibiotics and Bowel Flora
The word Antibiotic is constructed from Greek words anti, which means "against" and bios, meaning "life", is a phrase used to describe an antibacterial substance made from micro-organisms, all though nowadays most are made synthetically. Antibiotics inhibit the growth or destroy other micro-organisms; penicillin, cephalosporin, amino-glycosides, streptomycin and tetracycline are all examples of common antibiotics.
The Unique Benefits of Medical Adjustable Beds
With more medical advantages, an adjustable bed finds more functions in a hospital or a nursing home. It provides relief to people who are bed-ridden or those who have to stay in bed for long hours and can be adjusted either manually or electrically.
Top Ten Things You Should Know About Contact Lenses
1. Soft lenses are perceived by most patients and practitioners alike to be more immediately comfortable while adequately correcting vision.
Parasites In Your Colon
Your colon is a place for other parasites and organisms to breed and live. Many are harmful to your health and enter the body in various ways - foods we eat, through the bottom of your feet, air you breathe, the water you drink, and through sexual activity.
I Hurt All Over... How to Ease Away the Pain of Fibromyalgia!
At one moment, a life of activity consumed with enjoyable activities like biking, golfing, going to the movies, out to dinner. Then one day, it's gone.
Why Drug Companies are Naughty and 5 Remedies to Cure the Symptoms
With the hum of the election campaign and the debate of "big business," versus human interest, I decided to do a bit of muckraking into the art and science of the recent removal of Merck's Vioxx. My motivation of course; to look for clues as to the role drug companies play in our health and wellness (or lack thereof).
UltraCET: The Dynamic Duo Of Prescription Pain Control Medications
Remember the last time you stubbed your toe? OUCH! It's painful. But a stubbed toe usually doesn't send us running to the medicine cabinet, since we know that the pain will pass within a few minutes.
Signs of an Addiction
Addictions come in many forms. It's important to recognize the signs of addictions in order to seek out help before the problem becomes to large.
5 Risks to Avoid When Purchasing Discount Medicines Online
With the increasing price of prescription medications, many consumers are finding it more difficult to afford the price of prescriptions. Due to this, a large number of such consumers are looking for alternate ways to find affordable medications.
What Not to Tell Your Doctor?
For many years since medicine has been established as an ethical profession and gained widespread credence people have believed that they could and should tell their doctor everything even remotely pertinent to their health and that it was held in the strictest confidence. Furthermore, how can the physician make accurate judgments when important or significant information is missing? This system worked very well until relatively recently but there now exists a breach of this confidence that people should know about and this breach has developed from the advent of third party investigations into people's backgrounds.
Heel Pain - Ten Tips for Treatment
The most common cause of heel pain is plantar fasciitis (plan * tar fash* ee * I * tis). If you experience a sharp pain in your heel when you first step down in the morning, it is most likely due to plantar fasciitis.
Can You Always Trust Your Dentists Recommendations?
Can you always trust your dentists' recommendations? Think for yourself - in the last 30 years the health of our teeth has improved dramatically. We drink fluoridated water, which almost eliminated decay in our teeth.
Health Needs of Survivors of Domestic Violence
Domestic violence is not over when the victim is safe and out of harm's way. It's not over until justice has been served.
Top Ten Reasons Why We Hate IBS!
Irritable bowel syndrome can be a nightmare?constant diarrhea and terrible stomach pains, or unbelievable constipation and never-ending gas. While it's good to stay positive and keep looking for help, sometimes it's even better to just have a good old moan!So, without further ado, I would like to present the top 10 reasons why we all hate IBS.
CRP And Your Heart
Monitoring your CRP level is vitally important because it is one of the best indicators of heart disease. C-Reactive Protein has proven to be one of the best indicators of looming Heart disease.
The 7 Most Dangerous Mistakes You Can Make When You See a Doctor for Arthritis!
1. Seeing a doctor who's not board-certified or a doctor who isn't really an arthritis specialist.
Stem Cell Breakthrough: Can You Now Make Your Own?
Over the past few years, stem cells have been getting a lot of attention. What makes them so interesting is their ability to stimulate the production of many types of healthy cells.
Medical Testing: Health By The Numbers Doesnt Work
Perhaps one of the most insidious dangers in modern technology is medical testing. Although it would be nice to be able to visit our doctor and get all hooked up with electrodes, inflatable cuffs, probes, needles and catheters and have a read-out telling us exactly how we are working and where there is a problem, that is a myth, not the reality.
Accutane Side Effects Lawyer: Hair Loss, Depression, Suicide
You probably know the drug isotretinoin by its trade name, accutane. Accutane is a powerful drug often used to treat acne.
Technology Over Drugs for Stress Related Tension Disorders
As much as 95% of the population suffers from some form of reoccurring stress and tension related headaches.Although not normally debilitating these headaches affect work productivity and add to the billion dollar cost of sick days and time off.
|home | site map | Dr. Thad Thomas|