Ten African Safari Tips That You Must Know Before You Go
1. Take the early morning drives on safari even though that often means getting up while it's still dark. You'll be very glad you did because your wildlife sightings will improve.
The animals are a lot more active in the early morning and late evening because it is cooler and the nocturnal species are either getting up or going to bed so your chances of spotting them are generally much better.
2. A safari is not only about the big game. Take enjoyment from the surroundings and all the wildlife you see because if you turn it into a "big five" tick list exercise you might be disappointed. There are a multitude of insects, birds and smaller creatures that can be just as interesting if you take the time to look and find out more.
3. A pair of good quality binoculars is absolutely indispensable on a safari so make sure you take your own with. Some safari companies do provide them but they might be a little worse for wear after a lot of use and it can be frustrating to have to pass them along to the next person when you actually still want to look at that lion stalking it's prey.
4. Wear insect repellent in the evenings to ward of those pesky mosquitoes and make sure you leave as little skin exposed as possible by wearing long trousers, long sleeved shirts and socks to cover the ankles. During the day they are a lot less active so you don't have to worry about them then.
5. Any good safari operator will have some form of medication available but you might consider taking some of your own with on a "just in case" basis: Anti malarial pills, anti-diarrhoea medicine, motion sickness medication if you suffer from this, mosquito repellent and sunscreen.
6. If you are taking photos using film, remember to bring at least two rolls for each day that you will be on safari and bring spare batteries for your camera because they will go flat at the worst times and you don't want to miss those once in a lifetime photo opportunities because of that. You should be able to recharge batteries in most safari areas. Electricity in Africa is 220 - 240V AC50HZ.
7. When it comes to lions, a lot of patience is called for because they spend most of their time during the day asleep. But if you watch them for awhile you might be rewarded by an impromptu hunt or the appearance of cubs from the undergrowth or a similar drama. Patience is the watchword here.
8. Night drives on safari are a great opportunity to see the nocturnal animals that you will never see during the day but remember that the powerful spotlight which illuminates the surrounding bush and the glowing eyes also attracts a lot of insects so you might think twice before volunteering to hold it.
9. Generally the dry season is a time when you will be much more successful at spotting game because the vegetation is sparse and the wildlife is forced to congregate in the areas where there is still surface water available.
10. It's not uncommon for safari vehicles to break down because most of the roads are dirt tracks and the cars take a pounding every day. Any company worth their salt should be carrying spares and the driver or guide should have some mechanical experience.
Bruce Whittaker shares many more excellent African safari tips, advice and recommendations at African Safari Journals.
Win a 3 day walking tour in the Kruger National Park in South Africa by entering this free safari holiday competition.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Woolly bears, Great Lakes ice, Monarch caterpillar, gar: Notes, Chicago outdoors - Chicago Sun-Times
OUTDOORS NOTEBOOK: DNR sets open house on Lake of the Woods regulations, North Dakota Game and Fish ... - Grand Forks Herald
Tent and Outdoor Gear Care and Repair
TENT CAREYou should seal all floor seams and those seams on the rainfly. This will make the tent waterproof.
Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel with an RV
New experiences make me nervous, and I assume that holds true for most of us. Towing our fifth wheel through a major tunnel for the first time was such an experience.
Maples for Autumn Colour
As the weather cools in late summer and the days shorten noticeably so the deciduous trees and shrubs begin to withdraw chlorophyll from their leaves in preparation for the winter shutdown. With less of that vital green pigment to mask them, the other colours within the leaves begin to show through.
What You Need to Know About - Camping Vacations
Camping is a delightful and adventurous way to spend your vacations. Camping basically means living in tents that are pitched on specific grounds.
Hiking from Your Own Home
Picture this. You are stuck at home knee deep in household chores.
Costa Rica: Land of Natural Wonders
Costa Rica is a small country - just 75 mi/120 km separates the Pacific Ocean from the Caribbean Sea at the narrowest spot - Costa Rica still has some of the most diverse scenery in the world. Its coasts have both sandy beaches and marshy swamps, while its interior is dotted with volcanoes, dense with rain forests and abundant with unusual flora.
Should You Buy a Used Inflatable Boat?
There are two types of used inflatable boats for sale - those that have never been patched before, and those that have been repaired. Repaired boats are worked upon by factory technicians using the same glue and same techniques used for a new boat, and hence are as good as new ones.
Protection from Lightning - Smart Strategies for Hikers and All Outdoor Enthusiasts
Prevention is your best protection against lightning. Be sure to check your local weather report before you head outside.
Zambia Safari Top Five National Parks
Zambia is Africa's best kept secret as far as safaris go. The country is a virtual unknown in comparison to other more traditional destinations but a Zambia safari can be every bit as good and in some cases even better.
Visiting Plitvice Lakes National Park
If anyplace on earth is a natural paradise, Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia is that place. Of all Croatia's eight National Parks, Plitvice is the oldest and most visited.
Planning Your Own Gorilla Safari Will Save You Money - Heres How
Going on a gorilla safari must rank as one of the best wildlife experiences left in the natural world. Many people describe it as an overwhelming and awe-inspiring experience and worth every penny they spent on making it happen.
Where to Find Some of the Best Beaches in the World
We think that Cape Town has some of the best beaches in the world.You can choose beaches which are on the Indian Ocean, with warm water, or those on the colder Atlantic Ocean.
Your Horses Back May Not Be the Same Next Month
A saddle is a static object, but your horse is a living, dynamic creature. Even slight changes throughout the year in your horse's weight have a significant impact on the fit of the saddle.
Alternatives to Pressurized Fuel
Recently I attended a Boy Scout Leader Roundtable meeting where they held a Pressurized Fuel Training session. The focus of this training was to teach leaders what they should be teaching boy scouts about safety rules for using primarily cooking stoves, but also lanterns and heaters that use propane or liquid fuels under pressure.
Dancing With Whales
We've all heard about whalewatching from boats or shore, and a few companies are now offering the possibility of actually swimming and snorkeling with whales in the wild. Is this a good thing?Some whalewatching operators in the Kingdom of Tonga, South Pacific islands, advertise the possibility of swimming and snorkeling with humpback whales during the cetacean's annual migration from July to October.
How To Buy a Used RV - Part 1
If you are on a tight budget and can't afford a new model RV you might consider buying a used RV. Here are a few suggestions for finding a used, affordable RV:1.
Hiking Mount Rainier National Park
Mount Rainier National Park is the most popular park in the state. It has fantastic areas to explore.
Trekking in Jordan
1st day : Airport / Amman, O/N Our representative will meet clients at the Airport, arrange their Visa and transfer them to Amman, check in at one of Amman's Hotels, dinner and overnight. ( L, D)2nd day : Amman, Wadi Zarqa Ma'in, Dana Hotel Will have to start early for a walking day after your breakfast in Amman, transfer to Wadi Zarqa Ma'in: Wadi Zarqa Ma'in is supposed to be the "Valley of God" Nahaliel mentioned in the Bible as a camping place.
Backyard Camping Trip
Are your kids begging you to take them camping, but you just can't find the time to take them on a camping trip? Or would you like to introduce your kids to the fun of camping for the first time, but aren't sure if they will enjoy it, or might get scared? Either way, camping out in your backyard will be a fun way to spend the evening and night with your kids.Get the kids involved in setting up camp in your backyard.
GOA - A Carnival of Beaches
The state of Goa on the West coast of India, is located in the coastal belt known as Konkan. While this tourist magnet has much to offer: old churches, carnival atmosphere, Portuguese flavour, wildlife, nature and tantalizing cuisine, yet, mention Goa and the first, often only, image that flashes in one's mind is of the BEACHES.
|home | site map | Ocean Photography|