4 Steps to an Enjoyable Hike
Some people have fought many years of their lives to preserve the rich heritage of the outdoors and nature we now enjoy. That dedication and effort has been rewarded by fantastic hiking opportunities in our local, state, and national park systems. In honor of their efforts, let's break out of our winter hibernation and venture into the crisp, clean outdoor air and hit some of those dirt trails. Let's Go Hiking!
Here are 4 steps to having an enjoyable hike, no matter where your feet decide to take you.
1. Know the area you will be hiking in to. Although many states, like California, Colorado, or Wyoming have exceptional hiking hot spots, even your local park will have some kind of useful information. Whether it's a website with information and trail details, or a map at the park office, trailhead, or visitor center, always check before you head out on your hike so you know what to expect.
2. Know the conditions you will be facing, wherever you go. Nothing is worse than traveling to a hiking destination only to miss the hike, because it was raining or freezing and you weren't prepared. If the trail is flooded out, or snowy conditions have shut it down for an extended period, you should be able to find this out as well. It is also good to know if there are any plants or animals to watch out for at your hiking location. Wiping with poison ivy won't feel good in the morning.
3. Wear clothing that works and fits the terrain and hike conditions. There are many options in your clothing arsenal, to keep yourself comfortable, here are a couple of pointers:
- Try and stay away from cotton. Instead, look for synthetic and natural fibers that pull moisture away from your body, or at least stay warm when wet.
- Also, go for layers to keep yourself warm, versus carrying around a huge parka, in case you are hit by a freak snowstorm.
- The two most important pieces of clothing for any hiker, are good socks and good shoes. Don't underestimate the pain a hike can cause with uncomfortable shoes and socks.
- Finally, a hat in cold weather is a great addition, since your body loses over half its heat through your head.
4. In addition to knowing the weather conditions, you will need to be prepared with a first aid kit that's appropriate for the hiking you will be doing. In most cases a simple kit will do. You can pick up a simple first aid kit at a local department or sporting goods store. Or you can build you own, which should include these basics:
- Different sizes and shapes of bandages and gauzes.
- Various types of tape for wounds or fixing tools.
- Suntan lotion.
- A light emergency blanket (preferably with some kind of water resistance).
- Aspirin, allergy, laxative, and anti-diuretic medications.
- Small multi-use tool with a knife, scissors, and a needle and thread.
- A cell phone can come in very handy in emergencies.
It's a good idea to pack all of this in a waterproof bag or container.
Using these tips, your next hiking adventure should be quite comfortable, safe, and enjoyable!
Additional information and resources for this article can be found at: http://www.dohiking.com/articles/56/4-steps-to-an-enjoyable-hike/
© 2005 This article is provided courtesy of DoHiking.com
This article may be freely published on any website, as long as the links are live, and this notice is left intact.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Too much to do in London!
No one can truly say they know London well. To know London completely is impossible.
Stay Warm - A Backpacking Skill
Stay warm or die. That's what it comes down to at the extremes.
Yellowstone Camping In The Fall
Soon, the busy summer tourist season will be over in Yellowstone National Park. If you are interested in enjoying one of the world's most unique geological wonders without the traffic, and crowds, it is time to start planning a trip.
Wildebeest Migration - How To Get The Best Seats In The House
To get the most out of a wildebeest migration safari you need to know where the best places along the migration route are, the times you need to be in certain areas and who the top migration safari companies are.The Best Spots On the Migration RouteHave you ever seen those wildlife documentaries that show masses of wildebeest swimming across a river being shadowed and sometimes dragged under by huge crocodiles or drowning because of the crush and fatigue?And those wildebeest that do make it across safely sometimes fail at the last hurdle because the bank is too steep and slippery with mud for them to reach the top even though they make a huge effort to do so.
7 Need to Know Campsite Cooking Strategies
Are you sick and tired of not knowing what to bring or what to cook when you go camping? Do you either pack the entire kitchen (including the sink) or you bring the absolute minimum and then have to use a fork as a spatula or two spoons as tongs?If that sounds even the slightest bit familiar then you are in the right place. Over the past decade or so I have refined a list of 7 things that I use every single time I prepare for my next camping trip.
Ireland Golf Vacations - Top Tips To Help You Plan an Ireland Golf Vacation
Live your golfing dreams on an Ireland golf vacation.The K Club, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Doonbeg, Druids Glen? the names of the courses may not trip off the tongue quite as easily as those of their Scottish cousins but the quality is just as high.
A Review of Popular River Rafting Trips and Services
Organized river rafting trips are a good idea for novices and experts alike. River rafting tours provide all of the equipment, guidance, and instruction necessary.
Review: Russell Shortos The Island At The Center Of The World
Up to now the preponderant view held by many historians is that Dutch contribution to American history and particularly to that of New York has been one of irrelevancy. As we no doubt realize, the winners write history, and unfortunately, whatever the losers may have contributed, it seems to be lost or forgotten in the shuffle.
Botswana Safari Top Five National Parks and Game Reserves
A Botswana safari is an excellent trip to undertake because the setting is as unique as you will find anywhere in Africa, the game viewing is exceptional and the accommodation is top notch.By using travel journals submitted at the African Safari Journals website, my personal experience of over twenty years, forums, magazines and the general consensus in the travel industry this is the list of the five best national parks and game reserves to go on a Botswana safari in.
Zambia Safari Top Five National Parks
Zambia is Africa's best kept secret as far as safaris go. The country is a virtual unknown in comparison to other more traditional destinations but a Zambia safari can be every bit as good and in some cases even better.
Yachats, OR: An Outdoor Lovers Paradise on the Oregon Coast
There is something about a town tucked between the mountains and the sea. Often, it feels like one has reached the far end of the world when he or she arrives in a place like this.
Beach Vacation Photo Tips - Make Your Vacation AND Photos Memorable
Most people, who go on a family beach vacation, take plenty of photographs. Once you're home and you view or print them out; are you ecstatic, bored, or disappointed? Be honest, now!Does this sound familiar? You arrive at your destination, check the place out, and quickly change to go to the beach.
Bicycling Down The River
My river-rafting adventure started on a bicycle. The small daypack I wore carried a hatchet, a saw, some scraps of rope, food, water, a garbage bag bivy sack, a hat, and odds and ends.
How to Repair an Inflatable Boat
The owner can attempt small inflatable boat repair if factory-gluing instructions are followed closely. Rips and holes larger than one inch in the air chambers, or those within two inches of a seam, should be repaired with internal and external patches by a professional repair technician at a certified repair facility.
Unforgettable Cape Cod Vacations: The National Seashore Gift
Take a captivating trip through the Cape Cod National Seashore with miles of white sandy beaches, trails and hikes to take your breath away, and majestic dunes. Just keep reading and you can visit all those places right now.
Going it Alone: The Waterfall at Mendenhall Glacier, Alaska
I stood at the observation point on the balcony at the Visitor Center overlooking the great Mendenhall Glacier at Juneau, Alaska. Before me was a beautiful scene.
River Rafting in Colorado
The sport of river rafting was practically invented in Colorado. In the late 1960s Bill Dvorak came up with many safety standards for equipment and many guidelines for proper rafting technique.
The Best Backpacking Food
Maybe your favorite backpacking food is a freeze-dried turkey dinner. There really is no "best" backpacking food.
PaintBall Gun Buying Tips
There are so many selections available when it comes to paintball guns that choosing one can be overwhelming.The most important thing is to make sure that you have done research on the guns that you are interested in buying.
Bird Watching Life Lists - Keeping A Record
If you're a birder, you want to keep a list of sightings when you bird watch. Your life lists should be kept in a bird watching journal.
|home | site map | Ocean Photography|